Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Homemade Biscuits and Sausage Gravy


On our flight back from Phoenix last week, I purchased the new Martha Stewart magazine. It contained some great recipes. One in particular I have been meaning to try since my food obsession really kicked into gear- biscuits and gravy. Derrick's parents came into town this weekend and they were the perfect taste testers.

I am a southern girl and a southern girl should know how to make this, don't you think? I mean what isn't more southern than something buttery smothered in cream gravy? Anyone who has attempted to make gravy will tell you she is finicky. Maybe even a little snooty. She has demands. "Don't get my skillet too hot!" "Quit adding so much chicken stock!" "Did I tell you you could stop stirring?!" Think of her as the spoiled princess in your southern cookbook. I attempted giblet gravy this past Thanksgiving and pulled it off, but for some reason cream gravy seemed a little more daunting to me...a little more high maintenance. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Instead of using the traditional method of cutting the butter and shortening into the biscuits, I used my trusty food processor. Is there anything that thing can't do? In a matter of seconds the dough was made and I had it pressed out on my new silicon mat. The only thing I would change with the biscuits is to roll the dough out thicker. The finished baked beauties were a little on the thin side, while still tasty, I would rather them be more substantial. That high maintenance princess gravy needed some manly biscuits to support her in all her glory.

We have established that gravy can be quite an obstacle. She takes patience and it's a darn good thing I have extra. I used 50% less fat sausage and while that is better for my heart and my waste line, it is not so good when trying to form a roux. I needed more grease to get the base started which required adding some butter. In the end it was the perfect consistency and I am glad I went with the less fat version, but I doubted myself for a minute. Once the roux was formed, I added the milks and chicken stock and stirred and stirred, mashing out the lumpy bits slowly while the flour did it's thickening magic. Last in was the sausage and nutmeg. Yeah, I said it- nutmeg. I thought it sounded funny when I read the ingredients, but I am all for trying something new. Should have gone with my gut instinct on that one. Nutmeg must be a north east thing when it comes to gravy because my southern audience wasn't loving it. After a few bites, the nutmeg flavor was forgotten, but I will not forget to omit it the next time. Even with the few changes, I would still make this again. To get your own copy of this recipe, click here: Martha Stewart Biscuits and Gravy (I omitted the fried eggs on top and went with fresh berries instead)

9 comments:

Mara said...

Looks yummy!!!! I don't think I have ever had biscuits and gravy...! Wow.

The Potts Family said...

When I win the lottery I am going to hire you as our personal chef.
Love you and love the new blog.

Missy's Blog said...

I'm so excited you have created a food blog ... I will most definately be a regular visitor here!!

Amy said...

Wow...speechless. My husband went to chef school and all we get are canned biscuits. These look awesome!

Andi said...

What time is breakfast served??? This looks so yummy Janna!

Of course my favorite things you make are your wonderful baked goods; cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc. Your Great Grandma Ripley would have been so proud since she was a wonderful baker!

Stephanie said...

Ahhh. Biscuits & Gravy. My husband's favorite. I have not posted that recipe yet. I do recall making the roux in a cast iron skillet with a little leftover bacon grease. My hubby loved it thank goodness but I haven't made it in quite some time.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog today and it's great! My dad is a Southern cook and he taught me how to make Biscuits & Gravy. He doesn't use any chicken stock though. He fries the sausage in a cast iron skillet, adds enough flour to make a paste, then pours in "sweet" milk (otherwise known as 2%), stirring constantly until it thickens. Along the way, he salts, peppers and chili powders it up. With my stepmom's homemade biscuits (I videotaped her making them - I've never seen anything like it!!), it's enough to make you wanna "slap your mama"!!!

BigDoug said...

It never fails to amaze me when people confess to never trying biscuits and gravy. I thought everyone grew up with them. Your gravy recipe is good but I kick mine up a bit with some strong, black coffee and cutting back on the milk.

Melissa said...

Those look sooo good! My aunt makes this for breakfast whenever she is visiting, but that isn't very often, so I'm always craving biscuits and gravy.