Saturday, September 13, 2008

Beautimously Banana


When I was little, I couldn't say beautiful. I said beautimous. Let me tell you what, these cupcakes are just that. Beautimous, moist and delicious. I found Rhonda *J*'s recipe on recipezaar and it is a treasure to keep for sure. There is something to this whole shoving hot cupcakes in the freezer thing (read the directions, sounds weird, but it totally works). This cake is wonderful and, believe it or not, one of everyone's favorite's so far. Top them off with butterscotch "ganache" and luscious cream cheese icing and, whoa, you have a winner. I mean WHOA. Mmm Mmm good, like a Campbell's soup commercial for cupcakes.

I made little butterscotch dots for decoration and a butterscotch "L" for my coworkers birthday decor. They were a hit. These would be great for a neutral baby shower, or just because. SO yummy! The only negative is that melted butterscotch chips are not as easy to pipe as regular chocolate chips. They have a different texture and require a little more, ahem, force to get out onto the wax paper. It was still yummy.

Banana Cupcakes
Ingredients: (adapted from Rhonda *J*'s recipe found on Recipezaar.com)
2 cups ripe bananas
, mashed
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice

3 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened

2 1/8 cups sugar

3 large eggs, room temperature

3 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups buttermilk


Directions:

Prepare cupcake pan or line with cupcake liners.

Preheat oven to 275°. (yes you are reading the temperature correctly- it says 275)
In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, blend 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
Mix in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.

Mix in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with flour.

Stir in banana mixture.

Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
(My oven only needed 25 minutes)
Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.


Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients:
1/2 cup
butter, softened
2, 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

Blend all ingredients above together until smooth.

Refrigerate until ready to use.


For Butterscotch "Ganache":
Melt 1 bag of butterscotch chips over double boiler until melted and smooth.

Spread 1 tsp. over each cooled cupcake.
Then top with cream cheese icing.

Top with desired decoration.


I even made a few special heart shaped cakes for Derrick. They turned out super cute and he loved them!

Top view

From the side

12 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

These look cute and yummy. What you might consider in aiding a smooth melt to both butterscotch and white choc. chips is adding about 1/2 tsp. crisco. It adds a little fat, but you'll find that you'll be able to smooth it out and pipe it on more easily.

1215656559s20768 said...

Bananas and butterscotch! Oh my. I love it!-Lorie

the southern hostess said...

These sound wonderful. I'm a sucker for butterscotch!

Sophie said...

Again, your cupcakes are awesome! (You're eventually gonna get tired of me saying that :P). I love the ingredients, and I think the added lemon juice is a neat idea. yes, they are beautimous :D.

Janna said...

recipe girl-Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that next time~

lorie- Thanks Lorie!

the southern hostess- Let me tell you there is nothing better then melted butterscotch on a cupcake, a spoon, your finger...mmm mmm mmm

sophie- I will NEVER get tired of you saying that! I am so impressed with all your gluten free creativity. I have yet to make anything gluten free. I am worried about stocking up on the flours and then not liking it. :(

Nina Timm said...

Heart-shaped cupcakes...so cute and scrumptious at the same time!!!!

Mara said...

just say no to crisco !! hehee.

those look amazingly yummy..i love banana anything, i might have to try this freezer tip. does it work with any cake you think??

love the butterscotch piping, it's fun huh.

Prudy said...

Love that flavor combo and I'm sure those cupcakes are ultra tender and deelish with bananas and buttermilk.

dmarie said...

Here from Martha Stewart's blog. I'm definitely going to make this!

cooknkate said...

Let me tell you, it's really not a good idea to read about delicious cupcakes (FROSTED!) at 8 in the morning because now all I want to do is make cupcakes. Repeatedly.

I often think of cupcakes as the perfect dessert- not too big and not too small.

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

I LOVE YOU said...

成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,a片