Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ma Ma Ma Meatloaf


I have a friend who has never had meatloaf. How is that possible? I mean, I guess if you think about it the word meatloaf sounds kinda gross, but it is SO not gross. In fact, it is one of those comfort foods that is straightforward and simple, reminding me of my Aunt Brenda's cooking and the love she put into meals for us when I was little.

Now that the holidays are over, I have been cooking at home and packing lunches for me and D. It's a great way to save money and to eat well balanced meals. Meatloaf isn't fat free, but when paired with a veggie, salad or oven roasted potatoes...it all works out. I use lean beef and make my bread crumbs from fresh bread. Half way through the baking process I drain off most of the fat and I repeat that process right before serving. It's so yummy. Derrick loves it and I hope you will too.

Meatloaf Ingredients:
1.5 pounds of lean ground beef

1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder

2/3 cup ketchup

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 cup soft bread crumbs*

1/4 cup milk

1/3 cup ketchup

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

In small bowl mix together bread crumbs and milk, set aside.
In another small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup ketchup and 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, set aside.
In large bowl, with sturdy spoon mix together ground beef, egg, ketchup, W sauce and spices.
Fold in bread crumb mixture.
Pour meat mixture into loaf pan and press gently into pan.

Spoon ketchup mixture over top.

Bake for 45 minutes.
Pour off any fat.

Bake additional 25 minutes.

Again pour off any fat.
Enjoy!


*to make 1 cup soft bread crumbs, I pulse 2 pieces of whole wheat bread in food processor until finely ground.

18 comments:

Mary said...

I love meatloaf. And yours looks delicious!

Kerry said...

Thought I'd share a tip I use for meatloaf. I think I saw it on Paula Dean's show. It works. Place 2 slices of bread in the bottom of the loaf pan (the heals work great for this). Place meatloaf mixture on top and bake as usual. The bread acts as a sponge to absorb the grease as the meat cooks. When the meatloaf is done, turn it out of the pan and peel the crispy grease soaked bread off the bottom of the loaf --discard. Return to the loaf pan and top with ketchup mixture. Put back in the oven for a few minutes to heat the topping through.

I love this method! I hope you like it too!

Thanks for sharing your great recipes! I enjoy your blog.

Kerry

sassy stephanie said...

MMMMMmmmmm. The secret to my perfect meatloaf is a can of tomato soup mixed in. Moist and deeeelish.

Culinarywannabe said...

Ohh I am craving a meatloaf sandwich sooo bad right now!! Yours pictures look awesome!

Gigi said...

i love meatloaf. and last night my friend bebe said she had never tried meatloaf before. (i know) yours looks delicious! yum.

Ingrid said...

I've always said I don't like meatloaf yet have never tried it. I wasn't a meat eater growing up. With that said your meatloaf looks and sounds pretty good. I'm going to give it a try. I think my family would enjoy it!
~ingrid

Sophie said...

I bet this would make tasty meatloaf sandwiches! Meatloaf is such a versatile entree, it's one of my favorite things to make...pure comfort food :)!

Janna said...

Mary- Thank you!

Kerry- Thank you for the great tip! I might have to try that. Does your meat loaf fall apart when you remove the bread? Mine is so moist I don't know if I could remove the bread and keep the "loaf" in tact??

Stephanie- A can of tomato soup sounds wonderful!

Culinarywannabe- Thank you!

Gigi- I hope you will be making meatloaf for your friend!

Ingrid- Definitely give it a try. You can use ground turkey if you are not a red meat eater. I have used turkey before and it was still yummy. :)

Sophie- I bet you make wonderful gluten free meatloaf!

Anonymous said...

Janna,

I've never had any trouble with the meatloaf falling apart. If yours is extra soft, I'd proceed with caution, though. I hope it works for you! It's definitely made it easier for me! :)

Kerry

Kerry said...

Janna,

I've never had any trouble with the meatloaf falling apart. If yours is extra soft, I'd proceed with caution, though. I hope it works for you! It's definitely made it easier for me! :)

Kerry

RecipeGirl said...

Meatloaf fan here. I've tried lots of different kinds, the best being a Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf. I also always thow in some pulverized mushrooms for moisture and added veggie sneak in there (that my son can't see!)

Amy said...

I don't really like meatloaf. I've always had an issue with that ketchup on top thing. But Joe loves it. I should make this for him as a little surprise. He'd love it. I think the kids would eat it. They love meatballs - that's kinda the same, right?

Candy Girl said...

Love your blog Janna! You and I do a lot of the same type of cooking.

Mara said...

I am NOT a meatloaf fan but GREG is.....!!! Give me some POT PIE.

Janna said...

Kerry- I will try it!

RecipeGirl-Mmmm. Roasted veggies thrown in there sounds great! Back in the day there was a restaurant I loved in Lubbock that had the best meatloaf with mushrooms and they changed management and changed the recipe and it made me so sad. :(

Amy- Totally. I bet your boys would like this. I use onion and garlic powder so there's no crunchy veggie bits for those picky eaters. :)

Candygirl- Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog. Welcome to the blogging world!

Mara- Haha! If you lived closer I would totally make you a pot pie. :)

andrea said...

I saw this recipe and having never made meatloaf before, decided to try it. I didn't have onion powder, so I substituted about a 1/4 c. of finely chopped onion. I also used a mini loaf pan that had 12 holes for loaves. I was very careful to share the ketchup mixture among the tops of them, so that there was enough to go around. I also adjusted the time, draining fat off at 40 minutes and then again 15 minutes later. Cooking time was 55 minutes, since the mini loaves cook faster than a big loaf pan. It turned out so yummy. Everyone enjoyed having their own meatloaf (I have kids). I will definitely make this recipe again, but will double it so that there are leftovers next time!! Thanks so much :)

Susie Q said...

Oh this looks so good Janna!

Ingrid said...

Hey, Janna! I made the meatloaf but did change things a bit. I sauted minced, garlic, onions, & pepper until tender but not mushy & mixed that instead of the dried along with all the other of your ingredients. I also used a meat thermometer so it dinged when it was cooked to the set temp. I ate a piece still not a fan(just don't like the meat)but the kids & my honey LOVED it. It was very moist & flavorful. Will definitely make again for them maybe trying as you suggested turkey. THX, again!
~ingrid