Monday, February 23, 2009

Dutch Apple Cheesecake


It has been a regular cheesecake factory up in these parts. I say "factory" but the truth is I have only made two cheesecakes in the last 7 days. That's a start to a factory, right?

This is the dutch apple variety. There is something splendorific about this concoction. It's like an apple pie, apple crumble and cinnamon spiked New York Cheesecake all in one. The best part, it's pretty simple to make. To me, that makes it fantastic! February marks an exceptionally busy birthday month at work and in the last 23 days I have made Almond Joy Cupcakes, Bourbon Bread Pudding, Brownie Bottom Caramel Cheesecake and now this. Whoa. Okay, I'm rambling. Here's the recipe.

Dutch Apple Cheesecake Recipe
Preheat oven to 350.


Crust:
1-1/2 cups crushed cinnamon graham crackers

1/3 cup sugar (or a little less)

1/3 cup melted butter

Mix together and press into bottom of 9” spring form pan


Apple Layer:

3 apples
¼ cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp ground nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Peel and core apples, cut into wedges.
Mix apples with remaining ingredients. Lay on top of crust in spring form pan so that entire crust is covered in at least 1 layer of seasoned apples.

Cheesecake layer:

Two 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese, softened
One 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

2 Tbsp. vanilla

3 eggs

Blend all ingredients together until mixed well. Pour over apple layer. Tap pan on counter to release air bubbles.

Streusel topping:

¼ cup flour
½ cup crushed cinnamon graham crackers
¼ cup crushed pecans
¼ cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla

¼ tsp ground nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together. Set aside. Wrap bottom of spring form pan with foil and place spring form pan in larger pan with ½ inch water. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove pan from oven and crumble streusel top over cheesecake layer. Return to oven and bake addition 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack and refrigerate for 1 hour (at least) before serving. Enjoy!

19 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Oh wow, this can only be heavenly....apples, streusel topping, cheesecake...what's not to love!!!

Sophie said...

Sounds like you've been quite the busy baker! This looks gorgeous, as I imagine all those other tasty baked goods you've whipped up taste as well. I miss your posts--they are always so beautiful!

Risa said...

Your cheesecake looks amazing! Thanks for commenting on my cheesecake post. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has struggled with a springform pan.

A. Lee said...

Yum! That looks great!

Grace said...

this is absolutely divine! the cheesecake factory's version of this is the highlight of every trip there for me, and i fear that if i make it myself, i'll eat the whole thing in a day. :)

Ingrid said...

Janna that looks awesome!!! And how busy have you been? It all sounds good. No wonder you've not been blogging recently you been too busy with the baking part. Your other cheesecake sounds heavenly as well.
~ingrid

Culinarywannabe said...

Holy cow this looks amazing! I'm terrified of making cheesecake, but the end results look well worth it!

Janna said...

Nina Timm- It was heaven. That's for sure.

Sophie-I know. I need to post more. How have you been? How is school?

Risa- Spring form pans both rock and...well, suck.

Allison- I miss you!

Grace- I love the Cheesecake Factory's version of this too which is what inspired me to make it. So yummy.

Ingrid- I have been busy. Super busy, but I need to be a better blogger. I really do enjoy it!

Culinarywannabe- You can totally make cheesecake! It's SO easy!

gg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
New Cook on the Block said...

Your cheesecake looks amazing. I only have one quick question. After the last step, when I first take the pan out of the oven, do I remove it from the larger pan when I place it back into the oven?

Honeyed Hashette said...

New Cook- No need to take the cheeecake out of the water bath. Leave it in there til the streusel is complete. Thanks for stopping in!

Anonymous said...

Do you use Granny Smith apples or some other kind?

Also, I made an apple cinnamon cheesecake before that called for a 1/4 cup of cinnamon. I thought it was excessive but it turned out wonderful! I lost the recipe. Have you come across a recipe like that?

Thanks!

Summerthyme Studio said...

I made your Cheesecake today, it WAS amazing!!!! We don't have a Cheesecake Factory in Canada (well not close to me anyway) and it was just as good as my Favourite CCF !!!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe and my family thanks you too!

Vicki

Sofie KjĂžller said...

I have just written down your recipe, and I can't wait to make it. We don't have Cheesecake Factory in Denmark either, but I've visted Boston once, where i tasted this cheesecake at the factory, and I have been dying to go back! So you can't imagine how happy I was when I saw your recipe :) Thank you!
I have one question though, to the baking. When you take the cake out of the oven, to put the streusel layer on, do you leave it in the larger pan with water, when going back in the oven?
- Sofie

Honeyed Hashette said...

Sofie- I keep it in the water pan. I hope it turns out great!!

Honeyed Hashette said...

I am just now seeing this comment- the only recipe where I've used that much cinnamon was in the cinnamon layer of cinnamon rolls. Did you try it?

Also- I use whatever apples look best at the time and lean toasted organic if theyre available.

Eileen said...

I just read the post about the 1/4 cup cinnamon and got so excited but then realized that I posted that comment! I'll just have to experiment. The cinnamon (and I believe some nutmeg and sugar) was mixed with the apples, a couple different kinds. I think the apple mixture was then mixed with some batter and then more batter added. Can't remember very well, it was a long time ago but I do remember it tasted wonderful! It was a large cheesecake. If anyone ever finds a recipe like that please email me at proactivewellness@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing. Thanks for posting. Going to make this for my hubby tonight for his birthday.

Caitie K said...

I tried making this cheesecake yesterday, and I don't know what I did wrong, but when making the cheesecake part of the cake the cream cheese did not incorporate well with the other ingredients. The result was a chunky batter (unlike any cheesecake I have made before).

The dessert still tastes good. It tastes more like a creamy apple pie than a cheesecake though. If I made the recipe again I would not use the sweetened condensed milk, and would rather make a more traditional cheesecake with the spices from this recipe in it.

Thanks for the inspiration for future cheesecakes =).