Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tilapia with Potato Crust


While I was on maternity leave I took in my fair share of The Food Network, making mental lists of new recipes to try. Recipes that took little time topped my list (who knew I would be entertained for hours just staring at this baby girl?).

Giada De Laurentiis presented this awesome, easy recipe. Light flaky tilapia seasoned simply with kosher salt and pepper, topped with thin layered potatoes, seared in an oven safe skillet and baked to perfection. So so good. Her recipe calls for homemade chive oil and fresh rosemary but I skipped that and went for dill and fresh squeezed lemon. It was delicious which just goes to show the infinite ways you could prepare this easy dinner dish.

I paired the fish with roasted carrots. Derrick and I both devoured it, barely speaking to each other (which is rare). I can't wait to try new ways to prepare this.

Tilapia with Potato Crust
Ingredients (slightly adapted from Giada De Laurentiis recipe found here):
4 tilapia fillets
3 small potatoes (I used red, Giada used purple- any kind will do) very thinly sliced (if you have a mandolin, now is the perfect time to use it)
1 Tbsp. dill (I used dry)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
kosher salt to taste
pepper to taste
fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Place fillets on work surface and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
Layer the potatoes on the surface of the fish (one side only) and overlap them like shingles.
Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and dill.
Heat in a large, oven proof skillet the olive oil and butter until the butter is melted and the oil is hot.
Place fish in the skillet, potato side down. Sprinkle with dill.
Immediately place skillet in oven.
Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Plate fish and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top.
Serve and enjoy!

Oven Roasted Carrots
Ingredients:
Carrots- unpeeled
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Directions:
Slice carrots in half length wise and then into one inch chunks.
Place in glass baking dish.
Drizzle generously with olive oil.
Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Bake for 45 minutes until edges are caramelizing.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

Sook said...

That is such a wonderful idea to put potato slices on top of the fish! It looks great!

Simply Life said...

delicious looking meal!

uma said...

looks delicious!.. even i watch Giada's shows whenever time permits.. u chose a very nice one..

Ingrid said...

Yum1 Looks good and I can finally use my new mandolin! Yay! Do you have the recipe for your carrots around here too? :)
~ingrid

Btw, how's your cutie patootie doing?

from my motorhome to yours said...

love your blog, your welcome to come by mine ans get in on the $45 csn giveaway they have furniture to little tykes toys! pam

Rhandi said...

I love the potato crust and you really can incorporate that into many yummy dishes, I am going to have to remember this! Lovely pictures too!

Sophie said...

Oooh fish and potatoes, that's a new one for me! I'll have to try. I love dill on fish, glad you went with that instead of rosemary :D.

megan said...

I like that you have a baby now. I like recipes that require little time. :) they are fun to just watch, huh?

Amy said...

This looks great - thanks for sharing!!