Friday, January 21, 2011

Beef Stroganoff


Two posts in one week! How to you like them apples? Maybe I should make New Year's Resolutions more often?? Don't answer that!

This is one of my favorite comfort meals. I could drink the sauce, it is so good! It is also one of those meals where you actually want leftovers because it tastes even better the next day (if that's even possible). Other bonus points for this recipe- it is easy, calls for simple and few ingredients and can be put together in a snap. Love that!

I found this in 2009 on Food Network. It is one of Paula Dean's recipes...this version is tweaked Honeyed Hashette style. She used cubed round steak and I use lean sirloin very thinly sliced. I find the very thin lean meat is much better compliment to the texture of the mushrooms than chunks of steak, but that's just me. The recipe makes about 6 servings and I really can't tell you how good it is. I have no words. Just do me a solid and promise me you'll try it.

All three of us love this, even baby Clara. Baby girl loves her beef...and her mushrooms...and pretty much anything for that matter...except broccoli...and drinking milk from a sippy cup...but I digress.

Beef Stroganoff (recipe slightly adapted from Paula Dean's recipe found on Food Network)
Ingredients:
3 medium sized lean sirloin steaks, sliced very thinly
Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic powder for seasoning
All purpose flour
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (I only use 1/2)
16 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
1 10 oz. can beef broth (or beef consomme)
1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/1-1 cup sour cream
Oodles of extra wide egg noodles, cooked per directions

Directions:
Thinly slice your sirloin steak to about 1/8-1/4" thick slices.
Cut against the grain of the steak on a slight angle to help provide tender bites of meat.
Season both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Sprinkle both sides with a light dusting of flour.
In 5 quart (or so) sauce pan, melt the butter in olive oil.
Quickly brown your steak on both sides, remove from pan and set aside.
Your steak should not be fully cooked at this point.
Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and saute in the yummy drippings until the onion is tender.
Lightly dust the veggies with flour.
Add the browned steak back to the pan and toss the mixture together.
Add the beef broth and cream of mushroom soup and mix until well combined.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Stir in the sour cream and serve over cooked egg noodles.
Be warned- you may not talk during dinner...it's THAT good!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Did you just say "do me a solid"?

Okay, I'll make it, just because you said that. I actually think my pickies will eat this, if I skip over the mushrooms when dishing theirs out.

Ingrid said...

lol, I hadn't heard anyone call doing someone a favor a solid in a looong time. :)

This looks like a serious winner for my house, too. The kiddos love their beef and especially the mushrooms. Well, my babygirl likes them one week & next she doesn't so, it just depends.

Good to see you back, Janna!
~ingrid

jkjkjkb said...

Ok...made this tonight (but subbed mashed potatoes for the noodles & omitted mushrooms). We ALL eat it like it was the last supper!! Sooo good!! Thanks for posting a meal that not only my hubs & I liked, but my 3 boys too :)
Kim B.

Honeyed Hashette said...

Amy- Absolutely. You know that's how I roll. If you can toss in some throw back language...then what can you do? I think your pickies will love this. It really is SO good!

Ingrid- Let me know if your kids like this. Clara was all over it! Glad to be back!

Jkjkjkb- Yay! That's so good to hear. I love this recipe and I'm glad your family did too.

Austin Gena said...

The succulent flavor of beef in combination of the creamy consistency of the sauce and an extra bite of mushroom truly made this dish a suitable dinner food that you'll talk about for a very long time! Also, other than serving it over cooked egg noodles, you can serve it with mashed potatoes!

Daisy said...

I am totally gonna try this one! We love Beef Stroganoff around here but I always use the McCormicks packet for my sauce. Looks great!!