Monday, January 17, 2011

Full Loaded Baked Potato Soup


Yeah, so...um...well...ahem...I've become the worst blogger...ever. I told myself I wouldn't, I assured myself I would never...but this little person of ours is so compelling with her big blue eyes and her perfect little pout. When she comes tottling over with a book in her chubby hands saying, "dis, dis" wanting to snuggle up in my lap to read "Can You Hop" or "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?" for the millionth time...I just can't say no.

She is thirteen months old now. It happened so fast. She went from a tiny, sleepy bean to a walking, talking toddler in the blink of an eye. She is literally growing up before my eyes and I can barely stand it. BUT, she is also getting better at independent play which means mommy can cook dinner...it's the little things.

I am need of a grocery store visit, so I made dinner with on hand ingredients. That means most of you (if there are any "yous" out there anymore) can make this most days too which basic ingredients you always have on hand. How awesome is that?

(please note there is a purple potato in there too, because my russets were small and the purple fella needed to be used)
I found this recipe by The Neely's on foodnetwork.com and tweaked it like I almost always do. It was delicious. Creamy which a rich flavor from the beer and sharp cheddar and toppped with crunchy delicious bacon and speckled with bites of sour cream. MMMmmmmmm. The only change I would make would be to keep chunks of potato bites in the soup instead of all pureed potato goodness. You could really play with this too- top it with pico de gallo, shredded barbequed beef, add smoked chicken and more. So versatile and with the weather being so cold and gloomy, it's the perfect "in front of the fireplace" meal.

I hope all of you are doing well!

Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup (recipe slightly adapted from The Neely's on Food Network):
Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup whole milk (you could be daring and use cream or half and half too)
1 (12 ounce) bottle light bodied beer (I used lager)
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, more for topping
2 heaping Tbsp. sour cream, and more for garnish
Dash favorite hot sauce
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Crispy bacon, for topping (love me some applewood smoked bacon)
Optional: Fresh chopped chives, for topping

Directions:
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
Add all the veggies and saute until begin to soften.
Sprinkle flour over top and stir.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes to allow flour to toast.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add chicken broth, milk and beer.
Bring to a boil, stir and reduce heat to allow soup to simmer.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Spoon out veggie chunks and puree with blender and add back to liquid.
Heat soup and add cheese and sour cream, stir until melted and well combined.
Season with hot sauce,
Worcestershire sauce and additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve immediately and top with bacon, cheese and chives.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Look at you! Welcome back! I should try this - to get some veggies into Biggie B. He'll eat soup. Just don't tell him what's in it! Love you. xoxo

jkjkjkb said...

I caught your blog back in April with your irrestible roasted chicken recipe! This recipe looks just as good & thankfully pretty simple! Welcome Back!

Lorie said...

Looks delicious! You're little girl is adorable. Those cheeks! Oh my gosh. Welcome back and I'm looking forward to more of your posts.

Honeyed Hashette said...

Amy- Thanks, ma'am! Glad to be back. Hopefully I will be less of a slacker this year. Will he eat bacon? Another reason to feed him this soup. :)

jkjkjkb- so glad you stopped by!

Lorie- the cheeks- I know! Her chatter is equally heart warming. I hope to be posting more in 2011!

Ingrid said...

Ohhhh, she is a cutie and I can see why you'd be pulled from the computer and your blog. It's a juggling act. Sometimes it's easier & it tougher.

Awesome soup. Definitely a winner for those cold winter evenings.
~ingrid